Header Ads Widget

A Newcastle University student is determined to travel from one side of the USA to the other in 38 days

A Newcastle University student is determined to travel from one side of the USA to the other in 38 days

A university student is scheduled to travel from one side of the USA to the other within 38 days. James Gray plans to travel 3,800 miles from Santa Monica Pier in California to Yorktown Beach Virginia. The 20-year-old will use the physical challenge as a way to raise money for The Oddballs Foundation. He decided to raise money for the organization after studying at the University of Newcastle how many men have been diagnosed with testicular cancer. Along the way James will meet people from the United States who have suffered from the disease. Read more: Birtley's mother 'in tears' for McDonald's staff 'extraordinary' kindness to an autistic daughter This challenge was originally supposed to last more than 40 days but has now dropped to 38. James said he was unable to fly to Los Angeles over the weekend due to a covid-19 test. He will now travel to the west coast of the United States on Saturday - the day he was set to begin the challenge. James will start cycling on Monday, May 30 but plans to end that day - Thursday, July 7. James, who is in his second year of Geography and Business, said: "I feel good, these things are happening in the current climate and it is a big challenge. I was planning to do 170 miles in those two days. So I will have to find them somewhere! "I'm cycling for miles. I will do it between seven and seven and a half hours a day on a bicycle. I 've checked the temperature and that's my biggest fear - the heat. "I've done it on the UK coast for the past few years but I've never done anything like this. My family and friends are a little nervous. I think when we leave people will be a little relieved about it." James aims to travel 3,800 miles in 38 days © Chronicle Live James aims to travel 3,800 miles in 38 days. James, originally from Hamsterley, County Durham, said he had spent a week studying at Newcastle and on training weekends in Weardale and Teesdale. He said that since announcing his plans to end the challenge for The Oddballs Foundation, he had been contacted by people from the USA who wanted to share their knowledge with him. James, who lives in Jesmond, said: "We had a talk from one of the university's ambassadors last year. It revealed how serious testicular cancer is. It is the most common cancer between the ages of 15 and 49. I wanted to break down the stigma and raise awareness about it. "I'm in contact with a number of survivors, especially those in the provinces. A few of them sent us a message saying they would like to meet you and talk. It's nice to have their number on the way. I really didn't expect it. James will be accompanied by his father David, who will be driving an RV across the country. The 58-year-old has flown to Los Angeles with James' bike and will make sure everything is ready to start the challenge on Monday. James added: "I'm confident I'll be able to do it. I'm looking forward to the end." Donations can be made to James' fundraising challenge through his website bikingforballs.com. People can follow her tour on her Instagram bikingforballs page.

Post a Comment

0 Comments